If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've loved this soup since first trying a version of it at The Colophon Cafe in Bellingham, Washington many years ago. This is how I make it. —WinnieAb
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 red or green peppers, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 8 cups homemade or store-bought chicken stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup organic peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot. Add onions, peppers, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, sweet potato, broth, pepper flakes, and pepper. Simmer about 15 minutes, uncovered, over low heat.
- Add rice, cover, and cook over low heat. After about 30 minutes, check to see that rice is cooked, and remove from heat.
- Whisk in the peanut butter. Serve garnished with chopped peanuts and cilantro.