Author Notes: I ate this at Fork Restaurant in Philadelphia as a first course — it was so light and elegant and of course I could have eaten ten more bowls of it. —Alexandra Stafford
Serves 2 to 4
- 1/2 pound orecchiette pasta
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 pound ciliegene mozzarella (goat cheese would be nice, too)
- fresh basil
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- fresh cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Add pasta and cook till al dente, about 9 minutes. (Package instructions may say up to 11 minutes but the pasta will continue cooking as its tossed with the other ingredients so it’s best to undercook it a little bit.) Drain pasta. Do not rinse.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds. Add pasta and pesto. Cook 1 minute, stirring to coat pasta with the pesto. Add the mozzarella. Stir to incorporate. Add the fresh basil and remove from the heat.
- Divide pasta among bowls and sprinkle each with some fresh shavings of Parmigiano. Crack the pepper overtop and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes