If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I invented this recipe some day when I was craving caulflower cheese, but only had brussels sprouts to hand. It is delicious with all sorts of meat, or as a dish of its own. —Tonemid
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil the halved Brussels sprouts in plenty of salted water until tender, about 5-7 minutes..
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces bacon, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups full-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 3 1/2 ounces breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in the butter over a very gentle heat until it is starting to brown (10-15 minutes).
- Add onions, and cook until translucent. Add garlic and thyme, and sweat for a few seconds more, until fragrant. Stir in flour.
- Still over a very gentle heat, gradually pour in milk, whilst stirring briskly. Bring slowly to the boil, still stirring, Simmer for a few minutes, until thickened, stirring now and then. Add thyme, and season to taste.
- Make topping: Combine crumbs, cheese, olive oil and pepper in a small bowl.
- Assemble: Grease 6 individual dishes. Distribute Brussels sprouts between them. Pour over bacon Béchamel, and top with crumble mixture. Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling and golden on top.