If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: our "treasure" of indiana in the summer is our tomatoes.i came across a very simple recipe,but i can't seem to ever leave well enough alone.the recipe called for feta,not one of my top 1000 choices,hence the tweeking which led to more.... this really fit in dirt cheap recipes for me cause i only needed to pick up gorgonzola.this is really a meal unto
itself,add a salad maybe with a sweet surprise & your good. —colejo
phyllo dough sheets 14x18 inch
plain bread crumbs
tablespoons pesto,homemade or commercial
cups crumbled gorgonzola
salt,kosher if available
ground black pepper
basil leaves juilianned
- pre-heat oven 400 F
- line large cookie baking sheet with parchment paper
- chop bacon and fry til starting to crisp,about 5 min @med-hi setting. add onion and saute until just tender,about 5 minutes,add garlic for last minute of saute. remove and drain well on paper toweling.when drained add 1/4 cup gorgonzola to bacon/onion/garlic in a bowl.
- wash and THINLY slice tomatoes about 1/8 inch thick.drain in colander so excess juices drain away.
- wash and dry basil leaves on paper towel
- lay sheet of phyllo on prepared pan,brush with olive oil,sprinkle with 1/4 tsp bread crumbs.repeat with all but last sheets of phyllo(10 for less thick crust).on final top sheet first brush with oil then roll 3/4 inch of each side of stacked sheets toward center to create a rim.
- brush pesto, using same brush,over inside of tart.sprinkle bacon/onion/garlic/gorgonzola mix over tart. lay tomato slices overlapping slightly, use all.season with salt and pepper.sprinkle remaining gorgonzola over tart,don't ignore the outer edges.
- bake 30-35 min, til crust golden brown and crispy flaky.cool on wire rack 5 min.lift by parchment paper to cutting board or other flat serving piece. juilianne basil leaves over entire tart.served warm is best,room temp is ok. cut in 2x3 inch rectangles, this is really rich & a little goes a long way
- thaw frozen phyllo in frig at least 8 hrs before using.keep phyllo sheets covered as you use them so they don't dry out.