Author Notes: I could only find a large rutabaga today, I bought too many parsnips and carrots for an earlier recipe. What to do, what to do. So, I had all of our favorite roots in the house. It was suggested by my non-cooking husband to put them all together and mash away. So mash I did. Sometimes the most simple things are the best. —GiGi26
Serves 5 or 6
- 1 small rutabaga
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnip
- 1 leek light green and white part only
- 2 potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the leek and slice it thinly
- Peel and cut the roots (vegetables) into equal sized pieces. About I inch.
- Put all the vegetables in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until all are fork tender. About 20 minutes.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Add butter and mash with a potato masher leaving some texture to the vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side