If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I stumbled upon this combination because it's what I had in the fridge and garden. (I grew a lot of Chioggia Beets this year.) I needed something easy to make, and this is versitile enough to toss on the grill or into the oven. It is surprisingly flavorful -even for non-beet lovers. —KaffeeAndKuchen
- 2 Medium Chioggia Beets (or golden)
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 Large Leek
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Tarragon
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- A splashes White Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375, or preheat the grill. Peel the beets and carrots, and chop into 1/2" pieces.
- Rinse the leek thoroughly, slice in half lengthwise and then chop into 1/4" pieces.
- Lay out two overlapping large (9x13") pieces of foil. Place all of the chopped vegetables onto the foil. Add thyme, tarragon, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and salt and pepper. Toss to coat all the vegetables evenly.
- Fold up 2 opposite sides of the foil towards one another, then fold the remaining 2 sides in, folding over the edges to seal the vegetables and juices inside.
- Place packet onto a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the house is fragrant and the beets and carrots are soft. Or, place packet onto grill over indirect heat and cook for about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side