Author Notes: Like many people, I have been buying less expensive cuts of meat these days, and looking for ways to gussy them up. I literally went through my pantry while my roast seared the first time, and added things as I went. A second time I added more, for more depth of flavor. —Jestei
- 2 pounds Cross Rib Roast
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Small hawaiian onions (or whatever you have) Sliced thin
- 2 Cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- 1 1/2 cups Beef Stock (or red wine)
- 1 pound Peeled seeded tomatoes, lightly crushed (or 28 ounce can in juice)
- Pre-heat oven to 250. Generously salt and pepper meat. In an oven-proof skillet or small Dutch Oven, heat the oil. Brown on all sides in pan, then remove roast to plate.
- In same pan, sauté onions and garlic until soft over low flame.
- Add coriander and harissa, and sauté another minute. Then, place beef and any accumulated juices on plate back to pan. Add broth and tomatos, increase flame to medium and bring it all to just bubbling. Remove to oven and cook @250 until medium rare, about one and a half hours. Let rest ten minutes before serving.