If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pecan pie is a staple on Thanksgiving at my house. I took a classic pecan pie recipe that I have been using for years (it's the recipe on a Karo syrup bottle) and I tweaked it by soaking the pecans in cognac (you can use the booze of your choice, bourbon or brandy come to mind) the pecans are then slowly oven dried. The cognac infused pecans are delicious (kept sneaking a nut or two) and for the filling I used vanilla sugar instead of adding vanilla extract and I flavored with cognac. The booze is optional of course you can use this recipe to make a classic pecan pie but the addition of the cognac makes it more festive. Use your favorite pastry recipe. I always use the Julia Child master pastry recipe. Here is a link to the pastry dough recipe:
Makes one 9 inch pie
The boozy pecans
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup cognac or bourbon or brandy
- Pour your cognac in a saucepan and bring to a boil, remove from heat and pour onto your pecans. Place them in a covered container and let them sit at least 6 hours preferably overnight.
- When the pecans have finished their soak, drain (don't discard the booze it will look cloudy but thats ok, I use it for flavoring, you will need a tsp for the filling) Turn your oven on to the lowest temperature (mine is 170) line small sheet pan with parchment and spread the nuts. Let them dry in the oven for 4-6 hours.
Making the pie
- Your favorite pastry crust or store bought dough
- 3 extra large eggs at room temperature (If you don't have xtra large eggs large work just fine)
- 1/4 cup dark Karo syrup
- 3/4 cup Lyle's golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon of your reserved booze or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of your boozy pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350. In mixing bowl add the eggs, just break the yolks and lightly swirl don't beat them, now add the syrups, sugar, butter and flavoring. Mix with a spoon just until combined. Add the pecans and stir just to mix it all together.
- Place dough into 9 inch pie pan, pour in the filling and bake for 60-70 minutes. The middle of the pie should jiggle slightly when lightly touched. Remove from oven let cool completely before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
More Great Recipes: