Author Notes: This is a dish that's perfect for hot summer days. It's a favorite staff meal at the restaurant. The best part: it cooks itself. —cookbambi
For The Shrimp:
Small Gulf Shrimp (diced)
For the Rest:
red onion (fine dice)
cucumber, (seeded, diced)
can clamato, or tomato juice
bunch bunch cilantro (fine mince)
jalepeno pepper (seeded, brunoise)
In This Recipe
- If you can't get fresh shrimp, go ahead and defrost a bag of frozen. When you buy your shrimp, your looking for small. We want the lime to be able to penetrate the shrimp. Make sure to take the shrimp out of the bag when defrosting. While your shrimp are defrosting,
- Start juicing the limes (and lemon)! If you have a handheld citrus juicer, now's the time! If you dont, cut the limes into squeezable sections, and juice by hand. Your going to want to have enough lime juice to cover the shrimp.
- Now that your shrimp are defrosted, dice them into bite size pieces (medium dice) and season them with salt and pepper. Then place them in a large non-reactive mixing bowl, and set that in your fridge.
- Cut your cucumbers, onion, pepper, cilantro, and place separate bowls.
- Add the lime juice to the marinated shrimp, and stir. Place in fridge and wait.
- And wait. And stir occasionally. The lime juice will slowly cook the shrimp with it's acidity. You will see the shrimp begin to turn pink around the edges at first, then turn ghostly translucent, then appear cooked. The shrimps texture will also change. If your not sure when your shrimp is cooked, take a chunk of shrimp, and cut it in half with a knife. If the inside is still grey, it still has a ways to go. Cooking the shrimp can take anywhere from an hour to four! Just wait and stir. It depends on the acidity of your limes. If you have been waiting for ages, and the shrimp seem to not be cooking, add some more lemon juice.
- Now that your shrimp are cooked through, drain off about 1/2 of the lime juice, add your clamato, onion, cucumber. Stir. Taste 'broth' for seasoning. Add salt if needed, if the 'broth' is too sour, drain out some, and add more clamato. Put the bowl back into the fridge. Stirring occasionally.
- Once the vegetables have turned translucent, and changed texture, add in your cilantro and jalapeno.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, valentina hot sauce, mayonnaise, in a taco, or on it own.