If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up, my mom always put chocolate oranges in my sister's and my stockings on Christmas. Now, I find the chocolate a bit waxy, but I still love that citrus-chocolate combo. You can certainly make this with orange slices, I just love grapefruit! This recipe is also delicious without the cayenne if you're not a fan of spice. —JessicaBakes
Makes about 3-4 dozen half-slices
- 2 small grapefruits
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freeze the grapefruit for 10 minutes before starting to make it easier to cut. Then, use a very sharp paring knife to cut the grapefruit in half and then into 1/4" thick slices.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Once the liquid is clear and sugar is dissolved, all the grapefruit slices. Simmer until rinds are almost translucent, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the slices from the syrup (you can save the syrup for later use--really yummy in cocktails--or just discard) and lay out on parchment until cool and dry, about 8 hours.
- When your grapefruit slices are ready, put the chocolate, salt and cayenne into a small bowl and set over a pan of boiling water. Allow the chocolate to melt, whisking until smooth. Take it off the heat, add the cream and let cool for 5-7 minutes, stirring every minute or so, to allow the mixture to cool off and thicken slightly.
- One at a time, push the grapefruit slices into the chocolate mixture so that half of the slice is covered in chocolate and the other half is not. Return to the parchment to allow the chocolate to harden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection