If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chocolate. Granola. The Allure of slabs of bark. Whole grains. Five-a-day and chocolate. Many can resist - not me. —Kitchen Butterfly
Food52 Review: The first bite of this snack instantly took me back to a childhood favorite, Cadbury’s Sultana Bars that were a limited edition from the 70’s. The surprise lies in the candied orange peel which gives the bark a wonderful depth and holds up to the crunch of the granola and the rich chocolate that enrobes it. Given the inherent sugar content of both the main ingredients, the bark tends to be on the sweeter side, despite using semisweet chocolate, but is balanced well with the addition of the salt, pepper and the toasted cardamom. The end result is rich and complex in its flavors, and is a snap to whip up at short notice. —Panfusine
Makes enough to gift or eat alone!
- 1-2 tablespoons desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1&1/2 cups granola, lightly sweetened
- 2 tablespoons candied (orange) peel, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Seeds of 4 - 6 green cardamom pods, lightly toasted and ground to powder
- 400g dark chocolate (or mix of dark and milk chocolate) callets/chips/a slab roughly chopped
- If using coconut, lightly toast in a dry pan on the stove top, till browned. Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- In a bain marie or microwave, melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a bowl, stirring gently till molten. Remove from the heat and add the remaining chocolate, stirring until it is completely melted. Add a pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper and cardamom powder to taste
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a silpat mat. Spread out the granola, reserving 1 tablespoon of chunks to top the finished product. Add 1 tablespoon of candied peel to the granola and reserve the other tablespoon to top. Pour the melted chocolate onto the pan, covering the granola and candied fruit in an even layer. Top/stud with the reserved granola and candied peel and sprinkle on the toasted coconut, if using.
- Refrigerate for an hour or more, till firm. Break into pieces and refrigerate in an air tight jar till coffee time is nigh. Then sneak a piece of two, savour the goodness as you sip on your drink. Consider giving some away. If you're thinking too long.....don't. Sit back and gift yourself some
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection