Author Notes: This recipe was spot-on. The sweet maple is noticeable without being overwhelming. And while the bottoms of the cookies are crisp, the cookies are tender and chewy. —SavvyJulie
Makes: 4 dozen cookies
cup butter, softened
cup granulated sugar
cup brown sugar
tablespoon maple syrup
teaspoons vanilla extract
cups unbleached all-purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
- Beat the butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg, syrup and vanilla, and beat until well-mixed with the butter.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. Place each half between two sheets of wax paper and roll out to 1/4? thick. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Pull one dough sheet from the refrigerator and peel off the top sheet of wax paper.
- Cut into shapes using your favorite cookie cutters and space 1? apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes at 375F until the edges start to brown. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- When you can’t get any more cookies out of your dough, mash the scraps together and roll the dough out once more. Cut out all the additional cookies you can.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating with your favorite icing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection