If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's creamy. It's dreamy. It's macaroni and cheese! —mtlabor
Makes one 9 x 13 pan
- 1 pound fusili pasta
- 1 ounce flour
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Spanish paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups gouda, shredded
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup garlic bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, in a large, nonstick pot over medium high heat, add butter. Let it warm up and then whisk in flour, paprika, mustard powder, cayenne, and nutmeg. Cook for 1-2 minutes until it starts to turn a pale white. You've got the start of a white roux (except it'll be a tad red because of the paprika and the cayenne)!
- Slowly add little increments of the milk so the roux doesn't get lumpy, and once you have a smooth mixture, add the rest of the milk. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese and the gouda. It will melt without being on the burner.
- Mix cooked pasta with sauce and place into a greased baking dish. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs and parmesan. Broil until brown and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.