If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It is cold and wet here...December in Vancouver. These muffins were inspired by a local cafe that has terrific muffins; on one morning they had an orange date blueberry muffin. I opted for another flavour but the combination intrigued me. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on freezing local blueberries this year. Don't blame me..I was pregnant and not particularly inspired to get my butt in gear about much. However, I did have some frozen organic peach slices...different but just as redolent of summer. —DebS
Makes about 8 depending upon the size
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup safflower or other vegetable oil (olive may be nice actually)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 8-9 dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 peach, skinned & chopped
- Whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add dates and toss to separate as they tend to stick together.
- In a separate bowl or a large measuring cup, combine melted butter and oil. Mix in eggs (actually I beat them in with a fork rather than beating them first...I'm lazy). Stir in vanilla and orange juice.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just to combine then gently fold in peaches.
- Spoon into lined/greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 375F for about 20-30 minutes. Time will depend on the size, I made 8 muffins and they took 25 minutes in my convection oven.
- Cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes before removing.