It is cold and wet here...December in Vancouver. These muffins were inspired by a local cafe that has terrific muffins; on one morning they had an orange date blueberry muffin. I opted for another flavour but the combination intrigued me. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on freezing local blueberries this year. Don't blame me..I was pregnant and not particularly inspired to get my butt in gear about much. However, I did have some frozen organic peach slices...different but just as redolent of summer. —DebS
- Makes about 8 depending upon the size
1 1/2 cups
all purpose flour
safflower or other vegetable oil (olive may be nice actually)
large eggs, beaten
dates, coarsely chopped
peach, skinned & chopped
- Whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add dates and toss to separate as they tend to stick together.
- In a separate bowl or a large measuring cup, combine melted butter and oil. Mix in eggs (actually I beat them in with a fork rather than beating them first...I'm lazy). Stir in vanilla and orange juice.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just to combine then gently fold in peaches.
- Spoon into lined/greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 375F for about 20-30 minutes. Time will depend on the size, I made 8 muffins and they took 25 minutes in my convection oven.
- Cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes before removing.