Author Notes: Today I am sharing a recipe for an egg salad that is made with butter instead of mayonnaise, walnuts, sage, and a hot pepper relish called adzhika. This relish is easy to make or buy in specialty delis, but I used chipotle in adobo sauce, the Mexican condiment, which has almost the same taste. I also added lime zest and juice to brighten the flavor. Adapted and adjusted from the Delicious Georgian Cuisine website. —Kukla
Food52 Review: This recipe could be called Revelation Egg Salad. I grew up on egg salad made with Miracle Whip. For the past several years, our family recipe has been the one from “Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton at Home,” but their version is also mayo-based. This one relies on different flavors, with butter, lime, and hot pepper. It’s radical and delicious.
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cooled
tablespoons butter, softened
cup toasted walnuts, finely ground
clove garlic, finely grated
fresh sage leaves, julienned
teaspoons lime juice plus zest of 1 lime
teaspoons adzhika or chipotle in adobo sauce
- Finely mash the eggs with butter; stir in walnuts, garlic, sage, zest and lime juice, and the adzhika or chipotle in adobo sauce. Mix well until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Turn out onto a serving dish and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Can be made 1 day ahead. Serve with oven-baked pita, chips of your choice, or with good, fresh crusty bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage