If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Today I am sharing a recipe for an egg salad that is made with butter instead of mayonnaise, walnuts, sage, and a hot pepper relish called adzhika. This relish is easy to make or buy in specialty delis, but I used chipotle in adobo sauce, the Mexican condiment, which has almost the same taste. I also added lime zest and juice to brighten the flavor. Adapted and adjusted from the Delicious Georgian Cuisine website. —Kukla
Food52 Review: This recipe could be called Revelation Egg Salad. I grew up on egg salad made with Miracle Whip. For the past several years, our family recipe has been the one from “Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton at Home,” but their version is also mayo-based. This one relies on different flavors, with butter, lime, and hot pepper. It’s radical and delicious.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cooled
tablespoons butter, softened
cup toasted walnuts, finely ground
clove garlic, finely grated
fresh sage leaves, julienned
teaspoons lime juice plus zest of 1 lime
teaspoons adzhika or chipotle in adobo sauce
- Finely mash the eggs with butter; stir in walnuts, garlic, sage, zest and lime juice, and the adzhika or chipotle in adobo sauce. Mix well until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Turn out onto a serving dish and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Can be made 1 day ahead. Serve with oven-baked pita, chips of your choice, or with good, fresh crusty bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage