Author Notes: This recipe has become a favorite at Thanksgiving Dinner. It's such a simple recipe and such a delicious recipe. I can't believe that after years and years of creating and re-creating different styles of sweet potatoes, that the end result ends up being so simple and wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving to all. —eleonore
medium sweet pototoes, cook to fork tender, cool and peel
cups pure maple syrup
cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
tablespoons unsalted butter
teaspoons kosher salt (maybe a little more - check)
- Using a 2 quart saucepan bring maple syrup to a boil and reduce heat and let syrup reduce to half the amount (approximately 15 minutes or so).
- After syrup has reduced, add cranberries, butter and salt and cook until cranberries have popped.
- Using a pretty ceramic or glass baking dish, cut potatoes into 1 inch slices and arrange in dish (overlap if necessary to fit all into dish).
- Carefully pour or spoon syrup mixture over potatoes.
- Bake (uncovered) in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Note: I prepare everything the day before - the only thing to do on Turkey Day would be to bring everything to room temperature and pour syrup over potatoes and bake and then enjoy them.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe