If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this recipe from an article in Runner's World magazine. It's quick, easy, hearty and healthy -- all of my favorite things. Spice it up as much as you like. Goes great with a craft brewed IPA. —essikes
- 1 package turkey sausage
- 4-6 cups quick cook brown rice
- 1 can light red kidney beans
- 1 can red beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 medium sweet onion
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Toss in diced peppers and onions. Season to taste with black pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, begin preparing brown rice according to package directions.
- Toss in diced turkey sausage. Saute approximately five minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Add beans without draining. Toss in bay leaves and a few more dashes of pepper and garlic to taste. Turn heat to medium/low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. It is important to not drain beans. They will need the juices from the cans for simmering.
- Toss with rice and serve.