Author Notes: This is a thirst quenching tart spicy drink bright with the flavors of lime, cardamom and ginger, all underlaid by the soft grassiness of green tea, and overlaid by the kick of rum. I am what some might call a 'cardamom freak' and when Marion, the bartender extraordinaire at Black Trumpet in Portsmouth N.H., put a cardamom rum drink on her menu, I knew I would be hooked. After a brief description of her ingredients, I went home to infuse, work out measurements and create a recipe.You may prefer a lighter cardamom flavor, and if so, add plain white rum accordingly; and in the future, use fewer cardamom pods in your infusion. Warning: it is easy to consider the green tea element as a marker of your virtuosness! (Ah yes, how we fool ourselves!) —LE BEC FIN
Infused Rum, Ginger Syrup, and Green Tea
- 1 fifth of white rum, like Bacardi's
- 1/8 cup green cardamom pods,smashed open with side of cleaver
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup gingerroot, unpeeled,cut into 1/8 inch thin coins and smashed with side of cleaver
- 1 teaspoon high quality powdered green tea (matcha)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup cardamom rum (cardamom removed and returned to leftover rum.)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup green tea, skaken well before measuring, as green tea powder tends to settle)
- 1/8-1/4 cups ginger syrup (ginger removed and returned to jar of ginger syrup.)
- Combine the rum and cardamom pods. Put in a dark place to infuse at least a few days (months won'r hurt it either!) .
- Bring 1 cup water to boil and stir in sugar til melted. Add ginger and simmer 30 minutes. Cool and put in sealed container
- Shake vigorously the green tea powder and 1/2 cup warm water, til smooth and no lumps.
- Measure and combine the drink components. Serve over ice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe