If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These little gems are the adult version of the classic pop tarts we ate as kids. With flaky, sweet pastry crusts and tart, creamy center fillings these tarts are not like the packaged squares you buy at the grocery store. Serve these for special occasions to delight your guests or make them on the weekend to surprise your family. —Jennifer Huntington
Makes 8-10 pastry tarts
Lemon basil crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon basil (minced)
- 1 egg (beaten)
Lemon filling and glaze
- 1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice (approximately 5 lemons)
- 1/2 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, confectioner's sugar, and salt until blended.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add to the food processor, pulsing until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the buttermilk, egg yolk, lemon zest, and minced basil, and continue to pulse until the mixture begins to form into a dough ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator, and begin preparing the lemon curd filling.
- In a small metal bowl, wisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until combined.
- Remove bowl from heat and wisk in the butter.
- Strain the lemon curd into a bowl through a fine strainer, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator.
- Remove the pastry crust from the refrigerator and divide dough in half. Roll half the dough into a 9x13 rectangle on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into 8-10 rectangles using a pizza roller and lay the slices of dough on 2 baking sheets covered with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the lemon curd from the refrigerator and scoop heaping spoonfuls onto the rectangles on the baking sheet.
- Top each rectangle with approximately 1 Tablespoon cream cheese and place second layer of rectangles on top of the lemon curd and cream cheese.
- Press the edges of the rectangles together and seal by pressing a fork around the edges of each tart.
- Place the trays of pastry tarts in the oven for 15 minutes or until they begin to turn golden.
- While pastries are baking, stir together the remaining lemon juice and confectioner's sugar for the glaze.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and let cool. Drizzle with the lemon glaze and serve! *Allow the glaze to dry before storing in an air tight container. To reheat, place in the toaster oven for 5 -10 minutes at 325 degrees or microwave for 25 seconds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe