If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sausage & Peppers is probably one of the most highly-favored of all the Italian American dishes, and also probably one of the least healthy because of the high-fat content of the sausage. Here, I offer a healthy and light alternative and some helpful cooking tips that will really add to the flavor. You might think: anybody can cook sausage & peppers - how is that a recipe. Well, you might think anybody can, but I've tried hundreds of people's versions of this classic dish and most people get it very wrong -- too much oil, overcooked peppers, etc. So, if you're looking for a light, quick and easy dish, don't pass by this standby just because you think of it as only being the greasy food consumed at Italian festivals! —Jenifer Mangione Vogt
- 4 Chicken Sausage Links (approx 4"), Italian Style or Hot Italian, if preferred.
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil, regular not EV or light
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 sprigs Fresh Oregano
- 1 Small white onion
- 2 Peppers - one red, one yellow
- You're going to use separate pans for the pepper and onions and the sausage. This will keep the dish tasting better. So, heat half the oil and garlic in one pan and the other half in another and add the oregano to one of the pans. This is the pan you'll cook the peppers in.
- Heat the oil and garlic in both pans on medium for about 10 minutes. Add the sausage to one and the peppers and onions to the other. Don't - I repeat - don't use green peppers! They have a very strong flavor that will overpower everything else in this dish. However, if you stick with the red and yellow, combined with the fresh oregano and garlic, you're going to have a nice light, slightly sweet flavor.
- Cook the peppers with a lid for about 15 minutes until they are tender and malleable. Cook the sausage also for about 15 minutes until it is browned.
- Add the sausage to the peppers, stir the pan over the heat a few times to mix. Serve!