- Serves 8
This is an easy to make black bean and turkey burrito or taco mix that I use often to feed my kids a hearty dinner during the hustle of our busy weeks. It's one of the few dishes I can sneak bell pepper and mushrooms into that my 12 year old will eat... and he loves it! The leftovers are as good reheated in the microwave as it is coming off the stove top so it's a great dish for you single parents trying to juggle kids and a carreer.
Be careful to not use too much taco seasoning. The after-tones of the shallots, garlic and tyme are my favorite part of this dish and would be masked if too much taco seasoning were used. —Eric Martin
Shallot (med to small size)
cloves garlic (chopped)
Yellow or orange bell pepper
sliced baby bella mushrooms
Taco Seasoning (to taste)
Can of Black Beans (do not drain)
Green hot sauce to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil using med heat. Dice the bell pepper and shallot and add once the oil is fully heated. With a wooden spoon or spatula, stir frequently for about 1 min
- Add the chopped garlic, tyme and Mushrooms and continue stirring until the peppers are caramelizing.
- Stir in the ground turkey and continue stirring until the turkey is browned completely. This will release a lot of water into your mixture which will be usefull for the chili powder or taco seasoning.
- Sprinkle in the Taco seasoning to taste. Be careful to not use too much. You don't want to overwhelm the Tyme, garlic or shallots.
- Lastly, add the can of Black Beans without draining. Add dashes of the hot sauce to taste. Continue stirring until everything has thickened to your liking and you are ready to serve
- Serve on a whole wheat burrito wrap with a light sprinkle of shredded cheddar and a dab of light sour cream. The sour cream and cheese are not needed if you are watching your weight (like me).