If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mexican food is my weakness. Specifically anything covered in cheese, but really, I love it all. Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, nachos, chile rellenos, fajitas (oh shrimp fajitas!). And if guacamole is involved, I’m sold. Completely. Don’t even get me started on fresh, thin, crispy chips. I can’t handle it.
This has become my slowly evolving go-to enchilada recipe for the past year. The best part? Even though there’s a healthy smattering of cheese on top, the inside is mostly veggies. So it’s kind of like eating a salad, right? —Shea
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn (I love Trader Joe's roasted corn)
- 1/2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10-12 white corn tortillas
- 2 jars/cans of your favorite enchilada sauce
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, add black beans, onion, bell pepper, corn, zucchini and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt and mix to combine.
- Wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes til softened. You want them to be pliable so they don’t crack and break while rolling them up.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Scoop 2-3 generous spoonfuls of the enchilada filling into each tortilla, rolling tightly and placing in a line in the baking dish. Pack them in until you’ve filled the dish.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and pepper jack cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling. Let sit for five minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro onto enchiladas after plating, if desired.