If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Developed this recipe to top salmon, but discovered it is equally good on other fish and chicken. —cw0762
Makes @ 8 cups
Simple Syrup Base
- 1 & 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- Juice & Zest from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup Pomegrant Juice (Optional)
- In a small saucepan, mix together all ingredience. Cover and bring to a hard rolling boil. Once mix boils, turn heat down to simmer.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until mixture has reduced by 1/4.
- Take off heat and allow to cool COMPLETELY. (NOTE that mixture will still be a bit thin).
The Chutney Components
- 2 Mangos - Very Ripe
- 1 Apple - Red or Green
- 1 Pear
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries - Roughly Chopped
- 1 each Bell Pepper (I use Green & Orange for the color) or 2 total
- 1 Clove Garlic - Finely Minced
- 1 cup each - Onion (Yellow & Purple) or 2 total
- 1 teaspoon each Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup each - Carrots & Celery
- 1/2 cup Pomegrant Seeds (Optional)
- 1 Japaleno Pepper (Optional)
- 1 sprig Rosemary - Rough Chop
- 1 sprig Tyme - Rough Chop
- 1/2 cup Parsley - Well Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar or Raspberry Vinegarette (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (or 1 Cinnamon Stick)
- Dice all fruits / vegetables (unless otherwise specified) and set aside @ 1- 1/2 cups of this mix.
- Place remaining fruits & vegetables in sugar syrup mixture.
- Return pan to low heat and allow to simmer - stirring frequently - for @ 20 minutes or until everything is tender enough that you can mash with a fork.
- Add spices and simmer another 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in Vinegar / Vinegarett (if using) and mix well. Mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once mixture is completely cooled, add reserved fruits and vegetables and stir well to coat.
- When ready to use, either warm up a portion or spoon over your food choice and bake (on top for Salmon) for @ 15 minutes - covered loosely with foil or parchment paper.
- This Chutney will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.