If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my version of a classic Italian combo: fennel's flavor adding brightness to canned sardines, tossed with pasta for a quick and pantry-friendly meal.
If you can find fresh fennel with full leafy tops still attached, you can use the fronds and the thinner stalks for this recipe, and use the bulbs for something else. Otherwise, use the bulbs and chop them fine.
I’ve deliberately kept this simple, but you can make this even more traditionally Sicilian in any of the following ways:
–Add a few anchovies and cook for 30 seconds just before adding the tomatoes.
–Add saffron or currants soaked in hot water along with the fennel seed and tomatoes.
–Add toasted pine nuts or fried bread crumbs as a garnish.
I originally published this recipe on www.honestcooking.com and my blog at http://threecleversisters... —sarabclever
cup olive oil
small onion or several shallots
cups chopped fennel tops or bulbs or a combination (exact measurements are not critical)
28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
teaspoon fennel seed
cans (about 8 ounces) bone-in sardines packed in olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
pound penne or other pasta
- Put a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil until shimmering in the pan.
- Finely chop the onions and saute until the begin to soften. If using fennel bulbs, chop fine and add with the onions. When the onions are soft, roughly chop the fennel fronds (if using) and add to the pan and cook until they brighten in color.
- Drain the tomatoes and roughly chop. Add to the pan along with the fennel seed. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the sardines and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste but be careful as canned sardines are briney already.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta and drain. Stir in the sauce and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe