- Makes 9 by 9 inch casserole
Spicy Potato Curry Casserole - Layers of potato and curry sauce, a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese, baked to perfection!! A recipe created out of a conversation between me and hubby dear. This is actually au gratin, modified to suit our tastebuds! —Ambika Venkat
Jalapeno/Serrano chilli (chopped
Marinara Sauce/Crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
Red Chilli powder
Cilantro/Coriander leaves (chopped)
Cheese (use cheddar or mozzarella or swiss)
1 + 1 tablespoons
- Slice the potatoes and carrots thin (about 1/8 inch) using your mandolin or knife. Boil the potatoes and carrots separately until tender, but not too mushy. Use turmeric powder while boiling potatoes. Drain the potatoes and carrots and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp of butter or olive oil in a pan and add in the ginger, garlic and jalapeno. Saute for a minute. Then add in the onions and saute until they are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the coriander powder, red chilli powder and curry powder and saute for just about 30 seconds, until aromatic. Add in the marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes and cook, covered for 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with 2 Tbsp of chopped cilantro. Cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix the tomato gravy and the white sauce together. Note: You may also make bechemel sauce at home and use it.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, remaining cilantro and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and keep aside.
- Grease a 9 by 9 inch casserole/baking dish with a little butter. Make a layer of the potatoes on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the gravy. Layer the carrots on top and spread the next 1/3 of the gravy. Make another layer with rest of the potatoes and top with rest of the gravy.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs mixture on the top. Add the cheese on top of the breadcrumbs and cover the casserole snugly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the center of your oven for 45 minutes. Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 5 minutes.Serve hot. We ate this with the sourdough bread rolls as sandwiches