Author Notes: Inspired by a dinner my husband and I had at a small inn in Boone, NC. I've tried to recreate it here. The coconut adds a nice sweetness and the cayenne adds just a touch of heat. I prefer using panko bread crumbs for dredging the fish. The end result is lighter and crispier. —CarolinaEpicurean
- Spray olive oil
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 trout fillets, deboned
- salt and pepper to tasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place pecans and cayenne pepper in a food processor and process until nuts are finely chopped. Place pecan mix in a shallow bowl and stir in the bread crumbs and coconut.
- Add milk to a second shallow bowl.
- Dip fillets into milk and then into pecan mix to coat top of fillet.
- Place fillets skin side down into baking dish. Lightly salt and pepper each fillet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve immediately