Author Notes: This was inspired by the overflowing amount of root veggies in my farm share, and I had just bought some local organic (nitrate/nitrite free) bacon. So off I went mixing salty and sweet flavors- a favorite combo. —HollyA
water to cook veggies
slices organic nitrate free bacon cut in 1 inch pieces
red onion sliced in half moons
salt to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in thick slices. Cut parsnip into 1/2 inch slices. In 2 separate pots, simmer the parsnips and sweet potatoes in a water level that just covers the bottom veggies so they are mostly steaming. (about 10 min) Then drain. (Drinking this cooking water is divine).
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, cook bacon until done, and drain on paper towels. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of bacon fat until carmelized.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes and parsnips together. Add carmelized onions and bacon, stirring to mix.
- Taste and add salt if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe