If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was the result of an experiment to convert our favorite Butternut Squash Soup recipe (Bon Apetit's Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream) into a healthy vegan alternative. The key is in the curry, a dash of cayenne, and finishing with coconut kefir. A winning combination of spice and comfort. —domaphile
- 1 medium/large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and coarsely choped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons curry poweder
- dashes salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 - 1 cups plain coconut kefir (cultured coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss squash, sweet potato, carrots, onion, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a large mixing bowl with enough oil to coat well. Roast in a large cast iron skilled or roasting pan until very soft and slightly caramelized (45-60 minutes).
- Cool slightly and transfer vegetables (in batches, if necessary) to a blender or food processor. Add cinnamon and cayenne. Puree while adding kefir and enough water to desired consistency. Correct seasoning. Enjoy or freeze for later.