- Serves 12
I was looking to create a moist, healthy muffin and have adapted my original recipe that used white whole wheat flour. Coconut flour has 3 times the amount of fiber than whole wheat flour and you need to use less of it in recipes because of its super absorbency. But you have to add more moisture when using it, so eggs (or egg whites, I use both) do the job. These are delicious for breakfast with coffee or as an afternoon snack! —JMT
- Dry ingredients
raw coconut flour, sifted
granola, crushed to a meal consistency
flax seed meal
walnuts, crushed to a meal consistency
- Wet ingredients
virgin coconut oil, melted
eggs whites + 1 whole egg
buttermilk or soured milk (1/2 tbsp. vinegar added to 2/3 cup low-fat milk)
small mashed bananas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin cups with oil spray or line with paper liners.
- Using two separate small sandwich zip-lock bags, crush the granola and walnuts with a mallet or hammer to make them into a meal consistency.
- Spoon, not scoop, coconut flour into measuring cup and level with a knife. Sift baking soda and baking powder with coconut flour into a large bowl. Add rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix next five (wet) ingredients well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Immediately spoon mixture into the 12 muffin cups, filling each cup almost to the top.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.