If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this one year for a holiday gathering; I tweaked [yet another] Joy of Cooking recipe. It was a big hit. Luckily I wrote my changes in the margins of my dog-eared copy. —Sadassa_Ulna
Serves 2 (just kidding, 8-10)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened choclate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 favorite chocolate cookie crust (or other prepared crust)
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream for whipped topping
- sugar for sweetening whipped cream
- Combine first eight (8) ingredients in a double boiler; cook for 10 minutes over boiling water until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat temporarily; meanwhile beat yolks in a separate medium-size bowl.
- Add half of cooked mixture to egg yolks and stir well before adding back to double boiler; cook until mixture is close to desired consistency (it will get thicker as it cools).
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, stir until incorporated and allow to cool 15 minutes before turning into prepared crust. Allow to cool completely at room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating.
- When completely chilled top with whipped cream.
More Great Recipes: