I made this one year for a holiday gathering; I tweaked [yet another] Joy of Cooking recipe. It was a big hit. Luckily I wrote my changes in the margins of my dog-eared copy. —Sadassa_Ulna
- Serves 2 (just kidding, 8-10)
unbleached all-purpose flour
favorite chocolate cookie crust (or other prepared crust)
heavy cream for whipped topping
sugar for sweetening whipped cream
In This Recipe
- Combine first eight (8) ingredients in a double boiler; cook for 10 minutes over boiling water until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat temporarily; meanwhile beat yolks in a separate medium-size bowl.
- Add half of cooked mixture to egg yolks and stir well before adding back to double boiler; cook until mixture is close to desired consistency (it will get thicker as it cools).
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, stir until incorporated and allow to cool 15 minutes before turning into prepared crust. Allow to cool completely at room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating.
- When completely chilled top with whipped cream.
Recipe by: Sadassa_Ulna
Growing up I was the world's pickiest eater, that is, until my children were born. Karma. Neither of my parents were much into cooking; it was the height of eating fat-free or anything with oat bran added. I taught myself some basics, mostly baking, following the guidelines of a well-worn copy of Joy of Cooking. I was a ballet dancer and a teacher suggested I lose weight. As I began reading about diet and nutrition I became interested in natural foods, which led to a job at a macrobiotic natural foods market in Center City Philadelphia; this was way before Whole Foods came to the area. I learned a lot about food in general. I ate strictly vegan for a while, although I don't now, but I still like it when a recipe can taste great without butter or bacon! In short, my approach to cooking is idiosyncratic, and I don't know very much about cooking meat or proper technique. I love to bake and I am still working on expanding my palate and my repertoire. The hardest part is getting the whole family to try new things! So aside from my food status, I am an architect who likes to garden and play music. I'm married with two kids, and I hope to get a dog someday.