Author Notes: These luscious bittersweet chocolate puddings are infused with star anise and topped with whipped cream and candied fennel. —Riki Shore
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces whole milk
- 2 tablespoons star anise
- 2 egg yolks
- 3.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Combine the cream, milk and star anise in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the cream mixture from step 1 and return the liquid to the same pot.
- Return the heat to medium and add the sugar and egg yolks to the pot. While whisking, bring the mixture to 180 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, this step will take about 5 minutes. The mixture is done when it’s just thick enough to coat the back of your silicone spatula.
- Take the pot off the heat and add the chocolate chunks. Using a clean utensil, whisk to incorporate the chocolate.
- Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, then portion into four small ramekins.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and chill. The pots de creme will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Top with whipped cream and candied fennel just before serving.