If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Each year we send a New Year's card with a food and drink recipe. This year we planned to send a szechuan lamb and were brainstorming ideas for a drink. The lamb has a sprinkle of szechuan peppercorns, cumin, coriander and salt and is served with a cilantro lime chimmichurri. We decided that a version of a moscow mule would be a great pairing and came up with this recipe. It reminds me of my dad who loved very powerful ginger and also had a couple engraved moscow mule cups that were inexplicably dipped in silver. We still use them even without the iconic copper. —savorthis
- 2 tablespoons szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 32 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce ginger juice
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 3 ounces simple syrup
- 10 ounces club soda
- 4 ounces lime juice
- Add the peppercorns to the vodka, shake and keep in a dark place for at least 4 days, preferably a week, shaking daily. Strain.
- Ginger juice can be purchased or made several ways. A juicer is best but you can also chop in a food processor and squeeze through cheesecloth. A less effective but workable method is to freeze it, thaw it and squeeze with all your might.
- To make the ginger 'beer', mix the ginger juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and club soda.
- Put ice cubes in a glass, add 2 ounces vodka, 1 ounce lime juice and 4 ounces ginger beer each to four glasses.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cocktail
More Great Recipes: Cocktails