You know how you get an ear worm, a song stuck in your head that plays over and over until you actually play the song? Well this recipe turned into a brain worm for me, my brain was chanting "buttermilk mango cake buttermilk mango cake" until I had to make it - I had no choice!!! I don't like really sweet cakes, so this does not have a ton of sugar, but if you prefer yours sweeter you can use 3/4 c white sugar in the batter rather than 1/2. I used atulfo mangos - the smaller yellow ones - which are my favorite - but if you can't find those you can use the larger red mango, just as long as you have enough slices to fill the pan. —aargersi
- Serves 1 9" cake
unsalted butter - room temp (1 stick)
light brown sugar
dark rum (Plantation or Mt Gay Eclipse are good)
1 1/4 cups
zest and juice from 1 lime
eggs - separated
sugar (3/4 c for a sweeter cake)
- Flour and butter a 9" cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter that too. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Peel and slice the mango. I used the "cheeks" of the mangos sliced into moons. I also ate some along the way. So 2 mangos is more than enough. Arrange the slices in a circle in the cake pan.
- Melt 3 tbs of butter with the light brown sugar. Cook it over medium heat until it begins to bubble, and stir for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the rum. Stir until it is smooth and fully mixed, then pour it slowly over the mangoes, making sure that the spaces between the mangoes are filled with goodness
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk together the dry ingredients - except the sugar.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until it is smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, again until smooth. Then beat in the lime juice, lime zest, and buttermilk. Now slowly beat in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites. Now spread the batter over the mangos in the cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cake is golden and a tester comes out clean. Cool for several minutes, then invert onto a plate. You should allow it to cool more before you eat it, but you probably won't!!!