If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My SIL and my brother got us into this Gumbo at Qdoba. PA does not have many locations within a decent driving distance and while I would like to call NYC my backyard with just an 1.5 hr drive, it wouldn't be practical for me to drive all the way every time I crave for the Gumbo:-(..So I have decided to make my own Gumbo of course to mimic the original 'masterpiece'.
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable OIl
- 2 Yellow Onions, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Cumin Powder
- 3 Banana Peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Poder
- 32 ounces Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Can of Diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Hot Salsa
- 1 cup Cooked rice, preferably short grain
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Coriander for garnish
- Tortilla Strips
- Tortilla Strips- If you cant find ready made Strips, buy a pack of Tortillas, cut them into an inch wide strips and deep fry them
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pot Add the onions and cook till soft. Add the garlic and banana peppers and cook for a few min.
- Stir in the Cumin Powder Add the Broth, water and diced tomatoes Simmer for about 20 min or until the contents begin to come together
- Add the Salsa and Coriander
- To Serve- Place a scoop of cooked rice,2 tbsps of black beans, a big ladle of the soup, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, a few lettuce leaves (optional).
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge on the side with a few tortilla strip on top. Serve hot.