Makes: about 1 dozen
cups all-purpose flour
cup whole-wheat flour
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
ounces cold butter or lard (or a combination of both), cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk dry ingredients together and then cut in butter or lard either with a pastry cutter or by hand.
- When mixture is mealy and butter is well incorporated add buttermilk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and then pull dough together by hand, being careful not to over mix.
- Pat out biscuit dough to 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or glass cut into rounds (for more rustic biscuits like the ones pictured, you can pat the dough into a rectangle and cut them by hand).
- Bake until golden, about 25-30 minutes.