Author Notes: I have adored strawberry muffins ever since I first made a strawberry muffin Jiffy mix when I was a little girl. As I grew up, those red pellets that stood in for the strawberries really started to skeeve me out, but in searching out more wholesome alternatives, I realized that all-natural, from-scratch strawberry muffins -like strawberry cake- aren't that easy to come by.
I make muffins at least once a week for my family, and this Strawberry Muffin recipe totally hits the spot when my yen for them peaks. I like the depth the browned butter provides, and sometimes I add lavender, sometimes not. The muffins are perfect either way! —em-i-lis
Makes 12 muffins
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined, granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¼ cups strawberries, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whey, or buttermilk, or cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons food grade lavender, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin. In a small saucepan set over medium or med-high heat, brown the butter. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gently toss in the chopped strawberries and lavender if you’re using it. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, whey (or additional buttermilk) and browned butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir gently until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, and bake 16-17 minutes or until golden brown and set.