Author Notes: One of the first Jamie Oliver recipes I ever tried was his fennel and radish salad with lemon dressing. As much as I enjoyed the salad, I needed to modify the recipe to include more of the summer radishes I love & my favorite go-to dressing. —joella.ashley
pound Radishes (I use french breakfast radishes)
tablespoon Whole grain mustard with Guinness stout
tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
cup Olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Slide the radishes using a mandolin & add to a bowl of ice water.
- Trim the top and bottom of the fennel bulbs. Remove and discard any tough outer layers. Reserve fronds. Slice the bulb using a mandolin. Add the sliced fennel to the bowl of ice water and let stand for 15 minutes, or until very crisp. Drain.
- Wisk together mustard, vinegar and olive oil until combined. Taste & add salt and pepper as needed.
- Drizzle dressing over radishes & fennel and toss to coat.
- Add chopped fennel fronds, additional fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Let stand for 5 minutes & toss one additional time just before serving.