If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Everyone seems to love these muffins. they are nice at breakfast or with tea. —sweet enough
Food52 Review: Heather adapted these from a cake recipe she makes all the time, with great success. The muffins are extra-lemony: not only is the glaze made with both lemon juice and zest, but the batter also contains lemon zest. And the poppy seeds aren’t exactly shy. They congregate throughout the rich, buttery muffins like so many hundreds and thousands, providing each mouthful with a delicate crunch. We used a pastry brush to apply a generous amount of syrup to the muffins a few minutes after they came out of the oven. - A&M —The Editors
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup plus one tablespoon sugar
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup each freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar for glaze
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a dash of salt into a bowl.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy and beat in the eggs one at a time and beat in one tablespoon of the lemon zest, the poppy seeds and the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low beat in about half of the flour. Beat in the sour cream and then beat in the rest of the flour.
- Pour batter into a lined muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze by simmering the lemon juice, sugar and zest until the sugar has dissolved. When the muffins come out of the oven, spoon about 1/2 of the glaze over the top. Let it sit over night and spoon the rest of the glaze over the muffins when you take them out of the muffin tin the next day. You can cut back on the glaze if you prefer not to have the outside of the muffins so sweet. I like it sweet.
- Your Best Muffin Contest Finalist!