of a (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes (or 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes)
can chicken broth, or 1 3/4 cups homemade
red potatoes, scrubbed and diced with skin on
1 1/2 cups
4 - 6 ounces
smoked salmon, cut into small pieces and the bones and skin removed
Salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce to taste
In This Recipe
1. Cook the bacon i a large pot over medium-low heat until done. Remove the bacon from the pot. (You can add the bacon, crumbled, to the finished chowder if you want. I prefer to use it to top a salad.)
2. Add the marjoram, garlic, chopped carrots, celery, and onions; cook, stirring often, for about 10 or 15 minutes until they are tender. Do not brown.
3. Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat so soup is simmering. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes. (If using fresh tomatoes, cook for a couple of minutes before proceeding; otherwise, just stir in the canned tomatoes and then add the milk.)
5. Add the milk and bring to a simmer while stirring.
6. Add the smoked salmon and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.