Author Notes: This is a festive addition to a table of finger food. There are several "green eggs" recipes to be found, but I added a few surprise ingredients. You can hard boil the eggs in advance and then put the deviled eggs together before serving. There is a good amount of lime juice in the egg and avocado filling, but there will be discoloration if they are prepared too soon before serving. Add the cayenne pepper to the top of the eggs at the last minute. You can multiply or divide this recipe easily. —Bevi
Makes: 16 green deviled eggs
hard boiled eggs - use your own best method - sliced lengthwise and the yolks removed
strips very crispy bacon, finely crumbled
ripe avocado, chopped in medium chunks
teaspoons Dijon mustard
teaspoons fresh lime juice
dashes cayenne pepper, plus more for decorating the deviled eggs
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
cherry tomatoes; halved crosswise
small pieces of crumbled feta or blue cheese to fill the tomato halves
- Place the hard boiled egg yolks, the chopped avocado, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, lime juice, and cayenne pepper into a large glass bowl. With a potato masher combine all the ingredients to make an almost smooth filling. Then use a fork to further pulverize the bits of yolk and avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste. The filling does not have to be completely smooth! Use a small spatula to scoop the filling into a pastry bag to pipe into the egg whites, or use a large Ziploc bag with a corner tip cut off after you fill the bag.
- Place the equivalent of 1/4 strip of bacon into the well of each egg white.
- Pipe the filling into each egg white. Try to hide the bacon bits.
- Gently squeeze the juice and seeds out of each tomato half. Then, press a cheese crumble into each tomato half. Carefully place the cheese-filled tomatoes atop each deviled egg.
- Sprinkle the little green devils with more cayenne pepper if you would like. I like lots of cayenne, but you be the judge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados