If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a kid, I always loved bean soup. I had tried countless varieties over the years but I felt like it was still missing something. One day, I finally decided to make my own variation. It was perfect! The smokiness from the ancho combined with the sweetness from the brown sugar creates wonderful flavours in your mouth. And the bacon obviously takes the dish to a different level. This hearty soup will fill your cravings any day of the week. Enjoy! —The Good Cook
- 1 398 ml can Kidney Beans
- 1 540 ml can Black Beans
- 2 strips Bacon
- 1/2 of a small White Onion, diced
- 2 cups Good-Quality Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Full-Fat Cream
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Ancho Chilli (Dried, Ground) to taste
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2-2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Optional Toppings: Grated Cheese, Green Onions, Cilantro, Sour Cream, Extra Bacon
- Take the bacon strips and cut into small, even pieces. Dice the onion. In a medium or large soup pot, add a healthy amount of unsalted butter. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and stir well. Turn heat down to low and let cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add more butter if onion and bacon begin to stick to pot.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, brown sugar, dijon mustard and ancho chilli and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the beans, cream, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir until combined. Close lid and lid and let simmer for 10 minutes. Heat and serve with any toppings. Enjoy!