Author Notes: The original "easy white bread" recipe that my parents served on their wedding day, with the addition of fresh herbs. —Carly Groben
Makes: 1 loaf
cups lukewarm water
tablespoon oil or melted butter, room temperature
cups flour, sifted
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and measure. Add fresh chopped herbs to flour.
- Stir sugar, salt and oil into yeast mixture.
- Add approximately half the flour and beat in electric mixer with dough attachment for 2 minutes at medium speed. Scrape bowl often.
- Add rest of flour and stir with spoon till well-mixed. Scrape down bowl.
- Remove dough to clean bowl, turn once in 1 tbl oil. Cover with cloth and leave in warm place 1 hour.
- Beat down batter. Put batter into greased loaf pan. Let rise till double in bulk (30-45 min.)
- Bake at 375°F for about 35-45 minutes or till bread sounds hollow when pecked.
- Rub margarine on hot crust. Remove bread from pan and let loaf cool on its side.