If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tarpon Springs is on the Florida Gulf Coast, famous for Greek bakeries and sponge diving and this style of Greek salad. My favorite version is from Athenian Gardens in St. Petersburg, Florida. The potato salad is just right. It’s a subtle thing - at first you think it’s bland, but then you can’t get enough of it; I think it's the red wine vinegar that the warm potatoes are tossed in. The Greek salad has everything - salty feta and olives, sweet shrimp, vinegary pickled beets, crunchy sharp peppers. I like to make this salad for summertime entertaining. It's nice served alongside grilled steaks.
Serves 6 as an entree
Patatosalata (Greek Potato Salad)
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook unpeeled potatoes in unsalted water until tender, about 20 minutes; let cool just enough so that you can handle them. Using a towel to protect your hand, peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in bowl and sprinkle with vinegar and salt, add chopped green onions and toss. Stir in green onions and mayonnaise. Season to taste and mix well. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Greek Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette & Patatasalata
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red pepper, cut into thin rings
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 pound cooked, peeled shrimp
- 2 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/4" slabs
- Pickled beets
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients (olive oil through oregano) together. Store in refrigerator until ready to assemble salad.
- On a large platter, spread out lettuce. In sections, place ingredients - pepper rings, olives, shrimp, patatosalata, feta and pickled beets. Serve salad with dressing alongside.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad