If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perfect for those sweaty, hot July days when tomatoes are at their peak and the last thing you want to do is turn on the stove. —Omeletta
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 large tomatoes, heirloom preferred, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup chiffonade basil, fresh
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 medium to large garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground salt, or to taste
- Using a box grater over a bowl, grate the tomatoes down to the skin, discarding the skin as you go. Add the lemon, basil, and garlic and stir to combine. Add the salt, a little at a time, tasting as you go.
- Let the entire mixture sit for at least one hour before serving. During this time I usually cook pasta separately (from scratch or a box). Before combining, don't heat the sauce, just serve the pasta and the sauce together either slightly chilled or at room temperature.