The combination of flavors in this fruit and veggie salad may seem a bit odd when you first read through the recipe, but it’s the perfect combo for a light, refreshing summer salad. The mix of fruits and vegetables provides lots of texture and flavor, and the mayo-honey-rum and orange zest dressing brings everything together. I have read and made many deferent salads where fennel is combined with citrus, such as grapefruit or orange and decided to try using it in a fruit salad to add a crunchy texture. Then for a little spice, color and even more texture, I also incorporated a small amount of baby bell peppers. Finely, to make a creamy and a little sweet dressing I used a combination of mayo, honey and rum, which keeps fruit and berries fresh. Here is my recipe which you can easily change to your own by using a deferent combination of fruit and vegetables and a dressing to your taste. —Kukla
4 to 6
• 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut or 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios
• 1/2 cup best quality mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 cup dark or spiced rum,I used vanilla rum
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
• 1 of each baby red and orange bell pepper, halved and thinly sliced
• Zest and sections ( well drained) of 1 large orange
• 3 ripe but firm kiwi, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
• 6 oz very fresh raspberries
In This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Spread the coconut or pistachios in a single layer on a baking pan. Toast coconut in oven until pale golden brown, watching carefully to avoid burning, about 6 to 8 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, orange zest, rum, and mint. In another large bowl, combine the fruit and vegetables. Pour the mayo-honey mixture over the fruit and vegetables; toss to combine. Allow to sit for 10 minutes so the fruit and veggies can absorb the flavors. Sprinkle the toasted coconut or pistachios on top and serve.