If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What makes a good egg salad sandwich? Everyone has their own answer to this question. For me, it all starts with fresh, perfectly cooked soft-boiled eggs. I add a little crunch for texture, a little acidity to balance out the creaminess of the eggs, and a dollop or two of mayonnaise to bind it all together. I add some tarragon, curry powder, and dry mustard to make my perfect egg salad. I love the taste of tarragon and it goes perfectly with eggs. It's really very simple and easy to make.
Adapted slightly from 101 Cookbooks.
1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
a few drops of lemon juice or white wine vinegar
stalk clelery, washed and finely chopped
sweet curry powder, to taste
1 to 2
1 to 2 teaspoons dry mustard, or to taste
a few sprigs of tarragon, to taste, chopped
slices white bread, toasted and lightly buttered
handful of lettuce
salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a pot, fill with water to cover eggs by about 1/2-inch, and bring to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 7 – 10 minutes, depending on your preference for doneness. (I let mine sit for 7 minutes since I prefer softer-boiled egg yolks.) Remove and transfer to the ice bath for about 5 minutes to stop the cooking.
- Peel eggs and place in a mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice or white wine vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Mash with a fork.Add in the celery, curry powder, dry mustard, and tarragon. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- To assemble the sandwich, place a handful of lettuce and a scoop of egg salad between two pieces of bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad