Author Notes: Angels sometimes need to be dark. While this cake is gluten- and dairy- free, it sure is feisty. A playful twist on the fluffy favorite!
Makes: 1 angel food cake
cups buckwheat flour
cup brown rice flour
teaspoon baking powder
pinch sea salt
egg whites, beaten
cup brown sugar
In This Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium bowl, combine both flours, 1 tsp. baking powder, and pinch sea salt. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until peaks form. Whisk in 1/3 cup brown sugar. Fold in flour and water, and combine until batter forms.
- Grease and flour a tube pan. Pour in batter. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s done! If not, keep checking every 5 minutes until it does.
- Let cool a few minutes, and then top with strawberries, and your favorite cream/vanilla/agave-flavored topping for a real treat.