If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Angels sometimes need to be dark. While this cake is gluten- and dairy- free, it sure is feisty. A playful twist on the fluffy favorite!
Makes 1 angel food cake
- 1 1/3 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium bowl, combine both flours, 1 tsp. baking powder, and pinch sea salt. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until peaks form. Whisk in 1/3 cup brown sugar. Fold in flour and water, and combine until batter forms.
- Grease and flour a tube pan. Pour in batter. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s done! If not, keep checking every 5 minutes until it does.
- Let cool a few minutes, and then top with strawberries, and your favorite cream/vanilla/agave-flavored topping for a real treat.