This simple potato salad is delicious with either smoked salmon or salt cured salmon (gravlax).
This simple potato salad is delicious with either smoked salmon or salt cured salmon (gravlax).—la domestique
Food52 Review: WHO: La domestique is a cook, writer, and photographer in Cavan, Ireland.
WHAT: Potato salad, all dressed up.
HOW: Boil potatoes, then toss them with herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, and slivers of cured salmon.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Unlike its mayo-lacquered counterparts or its tart, vinegary cousins, this potato salad has both personality and elegance. The herbs give it lift; the salmon, a salty kick. Serve it at your next brunch, and watch it disappear. —The Editors
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
pounds new potatoes
cup extra-virgin olive oil
cup thinly sliced spring onions, about 4 green onions
tablespoon to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, according to your taste
ounces smoked or salt cured salmon
pinch sea salt, to tase
pinch freshly ground pepper, to taste
drop crème fraîche or sour cream, serve on the side
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until tender and easily pierced through with a knife, about 20-25 minutes. Drain the cooked potatoes in a colander, cover with a dishtowel, and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by grating zest from ½ the lemon into a bowl. Add juice from ½ the lemon, along with ½ teaspoon sea salt and a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuously whisking, until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
- Toss the cooked potatoes and spring onion slices in the vinaigrette with half the chopped tarragon. Arrange the potato salad on a platter. Slice the smoked salmon into bite sized ribbons and place atop the potato salad. Sprinkle over the rest of the chopped tarragon. Serve crème fraîche or sour cream on the side.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!