If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's tomato season, so keep it simple while cooking. No need to make heavy sauces with all those gorgeous tomatoes that are bursting with flavor - try a simple 5 ingredient recipe with slow roasted tomatoes, herbs, loads of olive oil and topped with a filet of anchovy! This recipe is straight from the seaside of Le Marche, where we first devoured this delicious antipasto in Numana. —La Tavola Marche
- 4 round tomatoes (we grow & use grappolo for this dish)
- small handfuls fresh herbs you like, chopped - we use oregano but you can also use basil, thyme, etc.
- salt & pepper
- 8 high quality anchovy filets, (we use anchovies from Sardegna packed in salt)
- Preheat oven to 150 C or 280 F
- Cut the top 3rd off the tomatoes & discard top.
- Place tomatoes on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper & herbs. Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil. Place in the oven for 4-6 hours depending on the size of your tomatoes. Every once in a while as you pass the kitchen, baste the tomatoes in the juices & olive oil in the pan.
- Once the tomatoes shrivel up a bit & start to look sun-dried, they are ready. They should still hold their shape & not become mush.
- Remove from oven, top each tomato with a whole anchovy filet. Serve warm or room temperature with olive oil from the baking pan drizzled over the top.