Author Notes: A buttery shortbread flavored with spruce tips, in case you've decided to get into foraging! —fiveandspice
Makes: an 8x8 pan of cookies
cup fresh spruce tips (buds)
cup all purpose flour
cup (1 stick) salted butter, cut into chunks
In This Recipe
- Place the spruce tips in a food processor and process them until they are finely chopped.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt and process in bursts until fully mixed.
- Add the butter and continue to process in bursts until the dough is crumbly and starting to come together. Scoop it out of the food processor, gather it into a ball, then press it into an 8X8 baking pan, cover it with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 350F. When the dough has chilled, place it in the oven and bake until it is lightly golden, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Cut into squares and eat, or crumble to use as cookie crumbs in other recipes. You can store the cookies in an airtight container for up to a week, and they also freeze well.